Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Weekend Is Over... and the Weather is Beautiful!

Not that I'm complaining about beautiful weather, mind you!  Just wish it would not have been raining/freezing cold on Saturday!  We were going to get a load of manure for the garden, but that got postponed until I-have-no-idea-when, since my hubby will be at a Men4Christ retreat this weekend.  Hopefully, since he'll be using his boss's dump truck and getting some for his garden, too, Bossy Man will nicely let him go during a week day, if things get slow at work.  ☺

We use Clyde's Garden Planner, which is the neatest little cheapo tool.  We bought ours from the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company (which is where we buy all our seeds) for just $2.75.  It's a slide chart that uses your location's last frost date (or first on the autumn side of the chart) to tell you when to plant, how deep and far apart to plant, etc. several popular varieties of vegetable seed.


Last year we just planted our vegetable garden in the long, typical rows; but I'm reading Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Gardening, trying to figure out how to lay out the garden; and now I'm wanting to go kind of fancy.  ☺  I know I'd better just hurry up and decide because, according to Clyde, we are already a little late getting some of these seeds in the ground!  I am reading the book Carrots Love Tomatoes to figure out which vegetables to place or not place next to others.  That book was really helpful last year, and my library has it.

No comments:

Post a Comment