Monday, March 22, 2010

Growing Potatoes

I read about a neat gardening method for growing potatoes that I am going to let my children try this year.  We ordered some Yukon Gold seed potatoes from Gurney's already, but last Sunday a man at our church gave us some more seed potatoes.  I am going to let the boys use those to try the "no digging, no tilling" method of growing potatoes.


You basically just spread the quartered seed potatoes on the ground and cover them with straw.  You continue to add straw periodically, and the potatoes completely grow in the darkness of their "straw cave"!  When they are ready... POOF!  You remove the straw, and there you have a big old crop of potatoes!

I read about the method in an eBook that is part of the Green Thumb Library collection.  The entire collection of gardening eBooks is on sale for $9.95 now, if anyone is interested. 

1 comment:

  1. Can we come over for homemade french fries if the taters come out okay??? Sounds like a neat method. I hope it works well.

    ReplyDelete