Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Homemade Pizza

One of my "favoritest" really-quick-thrown-together-meals-because-I-didn't-plan-ahead-what-to-cook-for-supper is homemade pizza.  It is super easy and super yummo, and I promise promise PROMISE I can make one completely from scratch before you can get the Domino's guy to show up on your doorstep!


The pizza on the left is barbeque chicken, and the one on the right is taco.  I'll give you the crust recipe in just a moment; but let me just say that, as far as toppings go... anything goes!

Recently 3-lb bags of boneless skinless chicken tenders were on sale for $3.99, and I bought like six bags.  At least.  At one time.  I toss one whole bag of the things on a pan, sprinkle on some salt & pepper, and drizzle a little Sweet Baby Ray's over them.  I let that bake while I mix up some pizza dough and grate the cheese.  One bag of chicken can make several pizzas.

So basically, our favorite bbq chicken "recipe" consists of Sweet Baby Ray's (have you tried that stuff? ~ It's seriously YUMMO), cooked shredded chicken (as in method above, or leftovers, or store-bought rotisserie ~ whatever), chopped or sliced onions, and cheddar or some blend of cheese.  Tweak it to your liking; but let me say that, as much as I love mushrooms, they are just not a big hit on bbq chicken pizza.

The "taco" pizza pictured above doesn't have any meat on it, though I've been known to use leftover taco meat or ground beef.  I just mashed up some leftover pinto beans and smeared them all over the nekkid crust dough.  Then I sprinkled on some chili powder and cumin and cheese, baked, and topped with shredded lettuce and homemade salsa or pico de gallo or chopped tomato, either fresh or canned.  If I have a serious bounty of cheese (like I do right now because I bought 20 bags of Kraft for $1.00 each because they were going out of date), I sprinkle more cheese over the lettuce.  Yum...MO!

The crust recipe is really easy and can honest-to-goodness be made in five minutes.  I always make *at least* a double batch to make two pizzas or freeze crusts for later.  Actually, I got this recipe from Money Saving Mom, so I'll just send you over there for the instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment