Friday, June 11, 2010

My Scripture Memory Routine

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." ~ Psalm 119:11

It is fairly easy for our children to memorize God's Word (and most anything else, too!), but us 'older folk' really have to work at it!  I thought I'd share my scripture memory system for those adults who are interested in doing more to learn and remember God's Word.


Whenever I am reading my Bible and come across a verse that I'd like to commit to memory, I write it down on a 3 x 5 notecard.  I have quite a stack of such notecards, which I keep rubber-banded together in my purse; and whenever I do my scripture memory, I select one that I'd like to memorize that day.  It just depends on my spiritual needs at the time and often whether I am up to tackling a long verse or passage... or just being lazy and settling for a short one (which is okay, too!).

When I select a verse to memorize for the day, I flip the notecard over and put the date at the top.  Down the left side of the card I write 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, W, and M.  The first day that I am working on that verse, I read it a few times until I can say it from memory; and then I quote it 25 times.  I mark my progress with tally marks.  Then the second day I say that verse 20 times, 15 times on the third day, etc.  After five days I pretty much have the verse committed to memory and just brush it up with a weekly review on Sunday afternoons while waiting for my husband to get done driving his church bus route.  I do the weekly review for 7 weeks, and then I stick the card into the monthly review section of my stack.  I review all of my old verses monthly.


When do I actually *do* my scripture memory work everyday?  My preferred time is early in the morning, before everyone else gets up.  However, more often than not, I do it while I'm walking on the treadmill.  It makes my exercise time less boring, and... it makes my scripture memory time less boring!  I kill two birds with one stone, and it really makes my "15 minutes of loving movement" go by a lot faster.  I am 7 months pregnant and no longer do my full-blown interval workouts via Jonathan Roche's "No Excuses Workouts."  I just hop on the treadmill starting at 2.0 miles per hour, bump the speed up every minute 0.2 mph, max out at 8 minutes/3.4 mph, and then start bumping my way back down to 2.0 until I hit 15 minutes.  It never takes me longer than that to do my scripture memory.

Since I keep the cards in my purse, I also pull them out at my boys' soccer practices, my 7 year old's piano lesson, while my hubby is driving, and any other "dead space" time.  EVERYONE can carve out 10 minutes a day to memorize God's Word, even exhausted pregnant mamas of five little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment