Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Awesome Pancakes

I've gotten to be a pretty lazy breakfast cook, now that I regularly have five little starving kidlets biting at my ankles as soon as I walk out of my bedroom in the mornings.  We usually stick to the basics like steel cut oats, grits, and bagels with cream cheese.  However, this past Saturday I decided to be a little more adventurous and stir up a batch of pancakes; and they were YUMMO!  It does take me forever to make pancakes for this clan, and I always make extras to have leftover the next day; so I make them huge enough to feed two kidlets with one flapjack while the others not-so-patiently wait their turn.


These are buttery and delicious, so try them soon!

Mix the following in a 'very large' mixing bowl:  6 1/4 cups bread flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/3 cup of baking powder, and 1/4 cup of sugar. 

In a separate bowl stir together 1 quart of milk (I used powdered reconstituted milk in the picture above -- it works fine), 4 beaten eggs, and 2 tablespoons (yes, TABLESPOONS) of vanilla. 

In the meantime, melt a stick of butter in the microwave.

Carefully stir the 'wet stuff' in the smaller bowl into the 'dry stuff' in the big bowl.  Slowly combine it with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula without overstirring.  Then slowly drizzle the melted butter in as you continue to carefully combine.

Heat your griddle/skillet to medium low (I put mine on '4' out of 10) and butter/grease it.  Spoon the batter on (it is super thick) and spread it a bit with your spoon or ladle.  When the top side does its bubbly thing, indicating that it's ready... flip it over and cook the other side!  Serve with whatever you like to spread/pour/drizzle on pancakes.

2 comments:

  1. How many of those large pancakes does that recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm... I might have to get back with you with a specific answer, but it feeds my husband, me, and our 5 small kidlets.

    ReplyDelete